Monday 16 September 2013

Sweet Tomato & Ginger Chutney

I found this fabulous recipe on the lovely Life in Mud Spattered Boots blog and it worked beautifully on using up some of the glut of tomatoes we had after the "harvest"


You will need

1 kg red (cherry) tomatoes – I mixed a few yellow tomatoes in with the red ones and the chutney had a lovely reddish orange colour when it was finished
1 clove garlic
1 piece stem ginger
250g granulated sugar
500ml vinegar (I used white wine vinegar, but you can use cider vinegar otherwise if you like)
1 tsp salt

Optional – finely chopped fresh chilli if you have it, I didn’t but I used a small pinch of dried chilli flakes instead


Finely chop ginger and garlic and roughly chop tomatoes
Place into a large pan with the vinegar and the salt, sugar and chilli (if using), bring to the boil and then simmer for 2 hours until thickened


Bottle as usual



I'm looking forward to trying this with some cold sliced ham and potato salad, yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment