Monday 16 September 2013

Oven Dried Yellow Cherry Tomatoes

 This is the first time I tried oven drying tomatoes and it was so easy!

You will need

Tomatoes – I used yellow cherry tomatoes
Sea salt
Thyme – either fresh and finely chopped or dried



Preheat oven to 100 C

Slice cherry tomatoes in half and arrange on a wire rack on a baking tray skin side down.

Sprinkle each half tomato with salt and leave a few minutes so the salt starts to draw out some of the moisture.
Add a small sprinkle of thyme to each tomato half
Pop into the oven and leave for about 3-4 hours



The cherry tomatoes had shrunk down to almost large current size when I took them from the oven and had such a tangy tomato taste.

I put half of the tomatoes into a small plastic container and froze them and I let the other half cool and mixed them into a jar with very (very) finely chopped garlic and a good glug of olive oil. 


They will keep in the fridge in oil for about 4 days, but should not be stored like that any longer. The best way to store your dried tomatoes is to freeze them, otherwise you could risk botulinum toxin developing!


I had had some of the dried tomatoes in olive oil and garlic with a bagel smothered in cream cheese and smoked salmon, but unfortunately don’t have a photo as I ate it too quickly...

No comments:

Post a Comment