Friday 23 August 2013

Notes from the Garden.....Galeuse d'eysines pumpkin...part 1


And it's off!


For the first few months of growth, I was convinced this was a butternut squash...um... I got my seedlings mixed up..... I had used a colour chart for the little pots I propagated the seeds in (previous post) but somehow mixed two of the pots up. This is my first time properly growing from seed and I decided to experiment with some heirloom seeds I found on http://www.realseeds.co.uk/, which I really liked the look of!


We could see how much the vine had grown each day - I tracked it using the patio tiles and it literally grew inches each day





The pumpkin vine is to the left (half hiding the tomatoes), summer crookneck squash are center and the Cheyenne bush pumpkin are the brighter green plants on the far right


Then it started spreading further out over the patio...the bees loved the bright yellow flowers, we could hear them buzzing from the back door and I spent ages trying to capture a good "action" shot of a bee pollinating one of the sunshine yellow flowers











First photo of "Big Daddy"








At this stage of growth, I still thought it was a butternut squash....I kind of thought where the squash was growing (just over the edge of the patio) may have stopped it growing into the usual bell shape....








No comments:

Post a Comment